Sunday, September 16, 2007

weekend fun

Just got back from a brief trip away to Exmoor with Hazel - Saturday lunchtime to Sunday lunchtime; less of a mini-break, more of a micro-break, really. Nice though - we stayed at the George Inn in Brompton Regis (here), stopped on the way there for lunch at the Bridge Inn in Dulverton (here - very nice pies), went for a pleasant late-afternoon walk around Wimbleball Lake and then went back to the George to sample some local beer (Dunkery Ale, which was new to me, as well as Exmoor Ale which I'd tried before).

Today we made our leisurely way back to Bristol via the coast road and Minehead, where we stopped for a quick look around. After a thrilling seafront game of crazy golf, we stopped off at the railway station (the terminus of the West Somerset Steam Railway) as there seemed to be some sort of commotion - turns out it was the 2007 Somerset CAMRA Real Ale Festival, no less. Featuring the splendidly named Tone Valley Jazz Band, as well as (more importantly) a huge range of beer, principally various excellent ones from the Cotleigh Brewery (based just down the road in Wiveliscombe). I should point out I didn't indulge myself in any of their excellent product (though I did pick up a souvenir glass - see picture on the right), but I know it well as they were heavily featured at the Buckland Dinham Real Ale Festival last year.

I took a few photographs, nothing very thrilling I'm afraid, but feel free to have a look.

No comments: