Sunday, April 06, 2008

telling porkies

Here's another in the vein of my couple of earlier posts regarding absurd food packaging slogans - I was making some meatballs earlier and I noticed the label on the pack of pork mince I was using. Here it is:


Couple of things to notice: firstly that this pork mince is apparently "ideal for use in recipe dishes". Right you are then. So, in culinary terms, that rules out......well, nothing at all, actually. Helpful.

Secondly, the rustic farmhand pictured has apparently, and I quote, "been supplying pork to Tesco from my farm in Suffolk for over 25 years". Unless he's as spectacularly well-preserved as me I'd say the bloke in the picture was 30 at most, which would require me to believe he was running a supermarket meat-supplying operation at the age of five. Clearly what's meant is that the farm has been supplying pork for over 25 years and this chap is the latest in a long line of cloven-hoofed troglodytic products of unholy incestuous union who have run the place down the years. So why can't they be clear and say that?

6 comments:

The Black Rabbit said...

I don't know how youz sleep at night bate!

electrichalibut said...

Well, the drinking helps. That and bathing in the blood of young virgins regularly.

Anonymous said...

So you are picking on a trivial textual error from an otherwise reputable and responsible retailer.

electrichalibut said...

Essentially, yes. As well as the meaningless "serving suggestion" blurb above it. Did you have a point at all?

electrichalibut said...

Also, read it again and you'll notice I'm mainly using it as a flimsy excuse to shoehorn in the usual sniggering references to farmers marrying their own sisters. That's your actual comedy genius, right there.

Anonymous said...

"cloven-hoofed troglodytic products of unholy incestuous union" is certainly good enough to warrant reiteration in this here comments page.

I'm quite liderally falling off my bloody chair.