Thursday, September 11, 2008

the views of my right honourable member

More to follow on the US presidential election later, some of it no doubt in a serious and high-minded vein. Menwhile, in the wake of the media feeding frenzy prompted by the selection of Sarah Palin as John McCain's Republican running-mate, much of which revolved around the fact that she's a woman, 44, and not unattractive in a slightly scary sort of way, I was prompted to think, in a sort of follow-up to my Women Who Rock list, about Women In Politics, who you, well, you know, who you would, if you follow me. Here's a few for you:
  • Oona King. Former Labour MP for Bethnal Green & Bow and now occasional TV presenter. A lady of considerable charm and erudition, which makes it all the more regrettable that I have to introduce the phrase three cock gob at this point.
  • Julia Goldsworthy. Lib Dem MP for Falmouth & Camborne. Slightly posh and schoolmarmish-looking, but in a good way.
  • Virginia Bottomley. Every teenager's guilty secret during the Thatcher years. It's the posh thing again, I think, plus the suspicion that she might just possibly be into dressing up in a rubber Gestapo uniform in the bedroom and demanding to see if your papers were in order. And also that both parts of her name sound, well, you know, a bit rude. It's also an anagram of "I'm an evil Tory bigot", amusingly.
  • Yulia Tymoshenko, Prime Minister of Ukraine. It's the braids. And it's not just me, look.
  • Mara Carfagna, Italian equalities minister and former topless model. The Italians seem to go in for this sort of thing a lot. Remember La Cicciolina?
  • Rachida Dati, French Minister of Justice. She could deal out some harsh brutal justice to me any time, etc., etc.
  • Several of Zapatero's new Spanish cabinet, including Bibiana Aído, Carme Chacón (pictured) and Beatriz Corredor. I wouldn't mind having a look up her corredor, etc., etc.
  • And, of course, Ségolène Royal.
  • And Hillary Clinton. Come on, you would, wouldn't you, guys? Guys?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent. Wouldn't you just know it... that didn't take long

I have a bit of a soft spot (is that a poor choice of words?) for pixie-brained greenie Sian Berry

electrichalibut said...

Yes, I see what you mean. I imagine her wearing stout hessian undergarments and smelling faintly of falafels and garlic. But in a good way.