Wednesday, July 25, 2012

new model salami

Never mind Allah writing his name in aubergines and all that stuff, here's a haunted piece of salami I found last night!


Now I assume you can see what I see, because it jumps straight out at me; a sort of morose-looking emo guy with a slightly floppy Phil Oakey-esque fringe half-covering his right eye. It is dangerous to make that sort of assumption with these things, though, so just in case you can't see it here's a slightly digitally-enhanced version for the hard of seeing:


And yes, I know Phil Oakey didn't sing that, it just seemed appropriate. Face recognition in everyday stuff is a fascinating subject that provides some fascinating insight into how the human brain works, what its built-in biases are, and how hard it is to train computers to emulate its workings.

And the salami (purchased at the Cardiff food festival last week) was delicious, thanks for asking. Once it was all mixed up with a load of mushrooms and pasta it was hard to tell whether it was me or Hazel that got the haunted bit, and will therefore be doomed to wander the earth for all eternity possessed by the unquiet spirit of some mumbling spotty teenage herbert in black eyeliner. Time will tell, I suppose.

No comments: